USTA & Elysium Compass Draw Showdown Rules
- USTA rules will be in effect and will be enforced. Code of Conduct will be enforced. Loud and or objectionable behavior will not be tolerated. Rooting and support of the players is great, and encouraged, as long as it remains within the rules. Negative outbursts directed at an opponent, from the player, or parents, will result in default and expulsion.
- Regular scoring – Advantage scoring will be used during the first 2 sets. If the match reaches 6-6 in a set, a set tie break will be used to determine the winner of the set. The first player to win 7 points by a 2 point margin will win the set.
- A match tie break will be used in lieu of a full third set. We will use regular scoring for the first two sets. If the sets are split, the match tie break will be used in place of the third set. First player to win 10 points, by a 2 point margin wins the match
- PARENTS – Absolutely no coaching is allowed, especially in foreign languages. Referees are now being trained in foreign language basics in order to recognize and spot illegal coaching. Parents will be asked to leave if they violate any of these rules of conduct.
- The USTA three step disqualification process will be used in penalty situations. Penalty 1 – Point. Penalty 2 – Game. Penalty 3 – Match. The decision of the referee is final, there is no appeal. Do not request any one else to make a ruling.
- Server will announce the score clearly before each game; and during the game, before each point. There should never be more than 1 point in question, as everything has been agreed upon up until the last point..
- A ball that is not clearly out, is in. The Rule of The Code is now: “If you hesitate, or are not totally sure that a ball is out – the ball is good.” Do not call a ball out, until it hits the ground, especially if it is close to a line. A ball that is definitely out, by more than 2 feet, does not need to be called.
- Do not leave the court without permission. You will be disqualified.
- Please do not return balls that are clearly out. If it is close to the line, there is no problem. But a ball more than 12 inches out that is returned to the other side of the net slows down play. This includes serves. The USTA is dedicated to speeding up play. Players end up taking a huge amount of time chasing down returned “out” balls and serves. Please let them go into the back tarp. This keeps the matches moving.
- Early arrival is very important, just short of mandatory, and helps the tournament run smoothly. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled match time to check in. Be ready to play, shoes on and bathroom taken care of. If there is an open court and both opponents are available, we will put your match on early. This really helps everything run on time.
- Ten minute warm up !!!! – including serves. Per USTA rules and procedures, ‘A warm is a warm up, not a practice session. A time to loosen the limbs and prepare for the match.” The warm ups will be timed by the roving refs and the clock starts when the players enter the court.
- No cell phones and electronic devices. This will be monitored closely and subject to penalty points. If one rings on court, it is an automatic loss of point, Second time is a game. Third time is disqualification.
- Roving USTA referees will be working during the entire tournament. If you have any questions, they are very helpful and will do everything possible to help the players resolve their questions. The referees will adjudicate all problems that occur on the court. Their decision is final. Tournament administrators rarely have time to watch any matches and will make no decisions regarding anything that happens on the court, so please don’t ask. Administrators will handle questions of eligibility, scheduling, seeding, etc. or other administrative areas.
- Scoring markers are to be used on all courts. All spectators appreciate being able to follow the match and scoring. Please change the score only during the odd game change over. Please do not stop after every game to change the score. Time is at a premium.
- Pizza party for all participants on Saturday night. Pizza will be delivered early Saturday evening. We buy a lot, so siblings are welcome, within reason, but please let the players eat first.
- Tee shirt for all participants. One tee shirt per player.
[button_round link=”http://www.elysiumtennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ETC-Compass-Showdown-Jr-Rules.pdf” target=”_blank” background_color=”#6eab55″ border_color=”#3f7c3e” text_color=”#ffffff” ]Download As PDF[/button_round]